Another Great Recipe for the Summer!
It's time for the second healthy 4th of July recipe!!
This recipe can be a main dish or an appetizer. You can mix or match the veggies that you or your neighbor might already be growing in your garden!
The recipe is called Fire-Seared Antipasto Platter. It's featured on the Cooking Light website on June 2009.
We think this low-carb gluten free recipe is a WINNER for the 4th of July. It will satisfy your taste buds and leave you feeling guilt free after the holiday celebration.
If you can't find capocollo—cured sausage similar to salami—substitute salami or pepperoni. Serve the platter while vegetables are warm or at room temperature
Yield: 4 servings.
about 4 ounces eggplant, 1 tomato half, 2 bell pepper halves, 1/2 zucchini, 1/4 onion, 1 ounce prosciutto, 1/4 ounce capocollo, 1/2 ounce mozzarella, 1 1/2 teaspoons basil, 1/2 teaspoon capers, 1 1/2 olives, and 1 tablespoon marinade
• 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
• 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 3 plum tomatoes, halved $
• 2 red bell peppers, quartered and seeded $
• 2 yellow bell peppers, quartered and seeded $
• 2 zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
• 1 red onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices $
• 1 (1 1/2-pound) eggplant, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
• Cooking spray
• 4 ounces prosciutto, thinly sliced
• 1 ounce capocollo, thinly sliced
• 2 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
• 2 teaspoons capers
• 6 green olives, sliced $
• 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
2. To prepare dressing, combine first 5 ingredients in a bowl, stirring with a whisk.
3. To prepare vegetables, brush 1/4 cup dressing evenly over tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, onion, and eggplant. Place vegetables on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 5 minutes on each side or until lightly charred. Arrange vegetables on platter; brush with remaining dressing. Arrange prosciutto, capocollo, and cheese on platter. Sprinkle platter with basil, capers, olives, and 1/8 teaspoon salt.