Summer Sweets: Entertaining
Summer is the perfect time to experiment on healthy options for dessert. There’s bound to be a get-together or two where the food and laughter are flowing. Instead of falling “off track” over the weekend events try using lighter options when brining dishes or hosting.
Our Fit Tribe community has submitted their top choices for their Summer Sweets: Entertaining. Our top dessert recipe we share today from Cooking Light. Be sure to check out their magazine and online website for a fun twist on healthy cooking.
Lighter Key Lime Pie
Sidney Fry, MS, RD, Cooking Light JULY 2013
There's an addictive quality to Key lime pie's finely tuned balance of the sweet and the tart, the creamy and the crunchy, all crowned with fluffy cream. It seems so airy, but it's 500 calories of airy. Time for a makeover, indeed.Classic: 519 calories (per slice), 19.6g sat fat, 33.5g total fat Makeover: 280 calories (per slice), 3.6g sat fat, 8.9g total fat
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 ounce premium white chocolate, grated or finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt $
- 1/2 cup fresh Key lime juice or fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 3 large egg yolks $
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed $
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare crust, combine crumbs, sugar, salt, and chocolate in a bowl, stirring well to combine. Add butter and oil; toss with a fork until moist. Press crumb mixture into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes or until beginning to brown; cool completely on a wire rack.
- To prepare filling, place yogurt and next 4 ingredients (through milk) in a bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour mixture into prepared crust. Bake at 350° for 14 minutes or until set. Cool pie completely on a wire rack. Cover loosely, and chill at least 2 hours. Serve with whipped topping.